Meet CADI: Maria Castellanos Morales

Maria Castellanos Morales (she/her/hers) is a 2nd year theoretical chemistry graduate student and a member of the CADI board. She grew up in Cali, Colombia and came to MIT in 2018 after receiving her bachelor’s degree from Icesi University. Maria’s research in Professor Adam Willard’s group focuses on study the dynamics of dye molecules in exciton molecular circuits with applications in quantum computing.

We sat down with Maria over Zoom this week and asked her a few questions about her choice to do theoretical chemistry, her experience in the chemistry department, and why CADI has been so important to her.

Why did you want to get a graduate degree?

I wanted to go to graduate school since I started undergrad and discovered what a PhD was. I thought it was cool that I could do my own research and make important discoveries for humankind. It’s really the next step if I want to do impactful science.

Why did you choose theoretical chemistry? Why the Willard Lab in particular?

When I was in undergrad, I enjoyed physics and math, and I really liked my first quantum chemistry class. Theory is the field that mixes everything I like (plus computers, which I love). And you can do a lot of important and impactful stuff with theoretical chemistry.

I was convinced to join the Willard group after talking to Adam during my first semester. Adam told me about his new research project in quantum computers, which is something I’ve wanted to do since undergrad. I joined the group because of this project, but also because he’s a really cool person and a really good PI. Just by talking to the other students, I could tell the group dynamics were really great.

Why did you decide to come to MIT, in particular?

I decided to apply to MIT pretty last-minute, since I wasn’t sure of my possibilities of being accepted, coming from an undergrad in a different country. But when I got accepted, I didn’t think twice about coming here. MIT has a lot of opportunities, and it opens a lot of doors. Plus, the chemistry department has really good research groups, and the science was definitely cool.

What’s your favorite thing about MIT? What are you still looking forward to doing here?

I’m part of an MIT association of Colombians, where we do a lot of fun events with members of the Colombian community in Boston. That’s a huge part of what I like about MIT: that even away from my country, I have the opportunity of having a part of my culture here. I also love the research I’m doing here at MIT, of course.

I’m excited for summer in general, and I’m planning to go to the beach more often this summer. And there are a lot of restaurants I want to go to (especially going out for Italian food in the North End).

What’s been your biggest challenge since coming to MIT?

Academically the first semester was initially really hard for me, especially with the language barrier. It was challenging to adapt, and there were definitely gaps in my knowledge from undergrad. It felt like I was learning everything from scratch. But the other students in theory were actually really helpful. It didn’t feel like anyone was competitive or selfish at all, we were all working together (or suffering together). It was actually a good bonding experience in a way.

What part of the chemistry department are you most proud of?

I feel like there are a lot of people who really try to support us in the chemistry department. The chemical education office does a lot of wellness activities and really pays attention to the graduate student wellbeing. They actually know us all by name and check in with us, and they make sure funding and the stipend are never a source of stress. And we have the opportunity to have a lot of student groups – not every department has a CADI. I like that people in the department are trying to make it better for everyone.

How did you find out about CADI?  Why did you join CADI?

I initially found out about CADI during the orientation. In my first year I tried to go to as many events as possible, and in my second year (when I had more time) I joined the board.

As an international student, I think it’s really important to promote diversity and create a safe space for everyone to be a part of.

Why is CADI important to you? How has it impacted your life?

I think it’s really important for the department that there’s a student group making sure that everyone is feeling accepted.

It can be hard to be an international student when no one is talking about diversity, as you feel like you stand out. CADI is important because it makes people feel like the department really cares about diversity. It’s been impactful just knowing it exists, and the events are really fun. I feel like I’m working towards a better department.

What are you doing to stay sane in quarantine?

Because my work doesn’t really require a lab, I’m basically doing the same as always from home.

But I’m trying to keep a work schedule and build more structure into my day. Going outside for runs is nice though, because I feel a bit locked inside otherwise.

How are you keeping in touch with family and friends?

I’m trying to talk to my parents every day (I want to know how they’re doing in Colombia), and I’m still seeing my boyfriend and my roommate. The weekly CADI meetings have also been a great way to stay in contact with a lot of friends.

Have questions/want more CADI?

Follow CADI on Twitter!

Please email the CADI board with any questions!